Friday, January 9, 2015

Atlantis Rising


I am different. I have always been different, but no one can know or my life will be in danger. So I hide in plain sight, wearing drab clothes and thick glasses and trying to be invisible. I’m so good at hiding, no one has ever noticed me. Until Ian…the mysterious and oh-so-cute boy I know I need to avoid.

Now I have been seen. And more terrifying still, I am wanted—by those who would protect me and those who would destroy everything and everyone I love. But if they’re all terrified about who I am, wait until they see what I can do


Author: Gloria Craw
Page Count: 352
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Fantasy, Romance
Series: Yes! (Book 1)



  *I received an ebook version of this book from Entangled Teen for a free honest review*

  I read the summary of this book in an email request for upcoming review titles. The title alone drew me in. This was going to be a book about the mysterious world of Atlantis! Ever since I was young these stories have pulled me in. 

  Starting this book my expectations were high. As I mentioned above the chance to read about Atlantis already had me wanting this story, but the description on the back pulled me in as well. Who is this person and what powers does she hold? Why would someone be after her? This is where my thoughts stayed as I began the story...

  While the story was interesting and I really did enjoy it, my expectations were squashed a little. Some of the things I was hoping to see within the pages of this story never happened. The overall story was good and the characters were great, but there was still something missing.

  One of the parts I loved most about this book was the characters. Each character was unique in their own way, even the side characters had something that would make them stand out from the rest. The main characters were lovable and I found myself wishing I could talk to them. 
       
   Thankfully there was something missing from this story that I won't complain about: A love triangle. Unlike most Young Adult novels out there, this story kept the love interest between one guy and one girl. You didn't have the over protective friend trying to get the same girl as the exceptionally hot new guy. Some love triangles are ok, but I'm honestly getting tiered of  most of them. But with this story, the relationship between Alison and Ian is refreshingly normal. (Except for the whole being from Atlantis thing...) 

  There was a little action toward the end, nothing mind blowing or outstandingly epic, but it was a good ending to the story. There was a little build up to this fight throughout the story, and I personally am satisfied with the way it turned out. Not only did it wrap some issues and questions up, we are now left with a few others that need to be answered, a nice way to set up for a sequel. 

  About the only two problems I had with the entire story is:

  1. What about Atlantis? One of the key points in my decision to read this was to get a bit of Atlantis story, but there really wasn't anything present. We get maybe a page about what happened to Atlantis and how it ends up at the bottom of the sea, and a quick mention that some of the people are alive. This is mainly to express why the lead characters are different from others, they are called Dewings, which means they come from Atlantis. But other than those two things, Atlantis is not really brought into the story. This was a major let down to me, but I'm hoping as the next book (or books?) come out there will be more!
  2. A bit cliche. There were parts that came out being different than most stories, but most of the entire beginning is something that I have read many times. -The main character is trying to blend into society. All is working fine, until the new kid arrives, and then something extraordinary happens to them changing their lives forever!- This is not exactly a bad thing, I just think with the Atlantis aspect to the story, something a little different could have been done. 
All-in-all, I really enjoyed this story. It was a quick read and something I look forward to reading more of. I give this story a 4 out of 5 stars! If you like a cute read, this is the story for you. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I heard both good and bad things about this book but to be honest the reviews I've read were mostly negative ones. I really hate when a main topic of the book isn't told properly, like Atlantis. Besides that the others things you said about it sound promising! I might just give it a chance in the end. :)
    Fantastic review!
    Veronika @ Reading Is Dreaming With Open Eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I will admit, this is not an exceptional, best book I ever read, story..but it was a fun read. I hope you like it if you give it a chance!

      Delete