Thursday, June 19, 2014

The 5th Wave



              THEY KNOW HOW WE THINK.
              THEY KNOW HOW TO KILL US.
 THEY'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING WORTH LVING FOR.
NOW THEY'VE COME TO TAKE THE THINGS WORTH DYING FOR. 

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains.

After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th Wave, just one rule applies: trust no one. 

Now it's the dawn of the 5th Wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from them. The beings who only look human, who ram the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. to stay alone is to say alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother - or even saving herself But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

Author: Rick Yancey 
Page Count: 457
Genera: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Horror
Series? Yes (Book 1)




  Well, The 5th Wave was not exactly what I had imagined. To be quite honest I didn’t know exactly what to expect before reading considering I have never read an alien invasion based book. Sure, I have seen plenty of movies such as, Independence Day, War of the Worlds, and Battleship, but I have never really cracked open a written work based on superior beings coming to Earth.

  When it comes to aliens, this is what I think of:
1. A friendly alien like ET wanting to phone home. 
2. Aliens flying around in UFO’s looking to destroy the world. 
3. A mad man with a blue box.

   After reading The 5th Wave, I now have a new view of aliens and their plans to take over Earth. In my opinion, this story completely goes off the charts with its invasion. Rick Yancy has created a story where the aliens kill the humans, but not with the normal UFO’s or creepy alien robots. This book takes it on a whole other level. I won’t go into too much detail in this review because I would hate to spoil the thrill for those who have yet to read it.

    Overall, I enjoyed this story a lot. I felt like the beginning was slightly confusing at first. Mainly because the reader is just thrown into the center of the main conflict without really knowing what is going on yet. However, after a little reading I was able to find the light at the end of the tunnel, or at least I thought I had. If you begin reading this book and you start off confused as well, don’t worry! Things get clearer a few chapters in.

   The story does switch point of view between the main characters. I believe there are 4 views in total, 2 of which get more “screen time” than the others, but I felt like the voices of the characters were strong. Each character in this story is facing struggles during a pretty devastating event, and although it’s the same event, they have different obstacles to overcome. It’s interesting to see how each person reacts and thinks.

   There are a few cliché moments in the story, but on the bright side, I feel as if the execution is actually pretty well done. For those looking for a bit of romance along with a good actions story, this story has it. The romance is not a huge part of the story, but the element is there.    

   When it’s all said and done, I just have to say I would recommend reading this book. It was entertaining, and kept me at the edge of my seat until the very end. I cant wait to see what the next book has to offer!

Any thoughts on this story?

2 comments:

  1. I listened to this one on audiobook and it was so intense to listen to! I've had some audiobooks put me to sleep which isn't good while driving, so it was nice I didn't have to worry about that here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never considered listening to this one. Might have to do that before the sequel comes out! Just to refresh the story, ya know?

    ReplyDelete